quinta-feira, 5 de maio de 2011

Reading Log 1 - Confidence Tricks - Malcolm Griffiths

In order to see our students' progress, we have to provide them with confidence. But if we want to make someone feel more confident, we, teachers, must feel confident beforehand. That is why some teachers simply give up their profession: they lack confidence. All teachers may face the same challenges, but only the confident ones will be able to get over it and keep on.
It is normal that young teachers lack confidence in front of their groups for a while, specially in front of a new group, but, in my opinion, they shouldn't show this to to students, even because it is a temporary situation.
If the teacher has someone he / she can count, as coordinators or more experienced teachers, things get easier, but those who don't have anyone to help them, may find on the internet some help, just like other teacher's blogs.
All in all, teachers may have a good relationship with the students, motivating them and making them feel confident. Doing so, the teacher will feel confident enough to make a good job.

3 comentários:

  1. Dear Marina,
    We happen to have the same themes for our blogs. I've loved it. I agree it can be quite challenging to start a teaching career, any career. I can still remember my days as a novice teacher back in 1998. Jesus... You are also right it is a temporary situation and you should count on us. Well, I can speak for myself!
    Keep up the great work. Happy blogging.

    ResponderExcluir
  2. Hey Gil... Thank you for your comment! I know that I can count on you, and I appreciate it a lot! Thanks..

    ResponderExcluir
  3. Hi Marina!
    I do like the way you shaped your ideas. I would like to point out from your text, ‘But if we want to make someone feel more confident, we, teachers, must feel confident beforehand” because I also believe it is essential to set an example. To my mind, doing what we preach will be the single most important action to develop confidence in ourselves.
    Márcia

    ResponderExcluir