sexta-feira, 13 de maio de 2011

Ten Characteristics of a Good Teacher - Patricia Miller

“That which is essential cannot be seen with the eye. Only with the heart can one know it rightly” (Saint-Exupéry’s The Little Prince) – This quote was made by the author in the article, and I decided to begin my writing using it because I think it is the truth. Also because the author decided to put herself in the students’ shoes in order to understand them and their needs better.
As I “stopped” being a student only a few years ago, by reading the article, I could remember many things from when I was a student, and, in my opinion, everything she says is really true.
As a student, I appreciated my teachers, especially the ones who showed they were there because they loved their job and they knew the content by heart – I don’t know why… Maybe because I’d become a teacher someday! (lol) – and those who were patient and showed some kind of interest in my personal life and that I could count on them anytime I needed (both in my personal life and in my learning process)? Oh.. This made me appreciate them even more! It was also interesting when the teacher shared some things about his/her personal life, but forgetting the problems they, for sure, had.
I also used to estimate the teacher who, at the same time, was able to keep the control of the class and have a good relationship with the students and treated the students the same way, who took different activities to class, and the one who used to challenge me.
To my way of thinking, each teacher has its own style, and it may be difficult to have all the characteristics I’ve mentioned before, but I think it is important to have our students’ needs in mind and always try to be a better teacher.

3 comentários:

  1. Loved it, Marina...=)Tks for sharing!

    ResponderExcluir
  2. Dear Marina,

    I loved what you did... to write on the characteristics you appreciated in a teacher when you were a student. I think every teacher should put him/herself in the students' shoes. I've tried it and the only difficulty I had was to remember all the great teachers I had and their characteristics because, as for the author, it's also true for me that every teacher added something good to my life (maybe that's why I decided to be a teacher today, just as you said!).

    ResponderExcluir
  3. Dear Marina
    You clearly highlighted what your teachers did that contributed to your learning and even your desire to become a teacher yourself. I think it is undeniable that we are all leaders in the sense that we all influence other people’s lives.
    Márcia

    ResponderExcluir